Saturday 23 November 2013

Brooks Half Marathon 2014



Run around around Bukit Jalil

9th March 2014

5km, 10km and 21km


Ahoy mateys! It's that time of the year again when the half marathon events come out that guarantee a medal AND a finisher t-shirt for those who covert one. You know who you are! The ones who look at their full marathon runner friends finisher t-shirts with envy, but still haven't dared to pursue the distance. Thanks to Brooks, runners in Malaysia have a chance to run 21km. This fat old man running ran it last year and has a tiny gold cup to show for my efforts. There have been a lot of complaints made about the registration price hike for the latest instalment. However I know many friends from as far as Sabah who have signed up for it. Though for the life of me I never understand how their servers can  be clogged and make it so difficult to sign in. Don't they want our money? Isn't that why they raised prices? I had my misgivings about this run last year, yet if you ask me whether I will join it again, the answer is a resounding yes. Like many of my friends I would like to treat it as an LSD run for the one that follows a week later.

For those of you who want to try a 21km run this is it. Just make sure you are well  trained and well hydrated before the run. I noticed last year that many runners were not as well prepared for this race. Someone also fell dead. I always get nightmares about such scenarios. So if you want to go long please have a doctor check your heart. Running may seem easy but it is not something to be taken lightly especially for those who plan to go to 21km and beyond. I know, I know, just because I have run a couple of FMs doesn't make me an authority on the sport, but I have seen enough, especially in the bigger marathons to worry about the state of runners' health and race preparation. Just be prepared and run smart and everything should be fine. The main objective is to improve your health and stay health.  If you can have fun and make new friends in the process that is an added bonus. The response last year was terrific. Hopefully this year more new runners will join up and get bitten by the running bug.

The race will be run on 9th March 2014. Time: 5.30am to 10am. Venue: Stadium Nasional Bukit Jalil. Closing date for registration is 31st January or upon reaching 8,000 participants.

Want to register for the run click here.

The 21km finisher for 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment